This is a fun and easy cake to make for a child's birthday cake, for a party or just for the family at home. My son helped me put this together for his 3rd birthday. That's right I've pulled this one out of the archives, but I really loved how cute it was. We had the cake for a teddy bears picnic themed party which is so easy to create.
Coco Pops Bear Cake
YOU WILL NEEDCake
A cake recipe that makes a 20cm / 8 inch round cake and then double the ingredients.
1 quantity of chocolate buttercream icing
3 cups coco pops
2 white chocolate buttons
2 blue smarties
1 red smartie
120g packet black licorice strap
See basic buttercream recipe and use the chocolate variation listed at bottom of recipe notes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 7cm deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan and line base with baking paper. Grease three 1/3-cup (80ml) capacity muffin holes.
- In 1 large bowl, prepare cake as per recipe. Two-thirds fill muffin holes and spread remaining batter into pan. Smooth surface. Bake muffins for approx. 20 minutes and cake as per cake recipe directions or until cooked. Allow muffins and cake to cool in pans for 5 minutes. Turn onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare icing as per recipe link and place icing aside.
- Trim top of cake to sit flat. Place cake in centre of board. Spread icing over top and side of cake. Cut a quarter from 2 muffins and position as ears. Position remaining muffin as nose. Spread icing over top and side of nose and ears.
- Press Coco Pops over cake, including nose and ears. Cover centre of ears with icing, leaving a small border clear.
- Using a little icing to secure, attach blue Smarties to choc melts and position as eyes. Cut out a triangle of licorice strap and position on nose. Cut licorice strap into 2 long, thin strips and position as mouth. Finish with red Smartie as tongue.