Wednesday 10 October 2012

Yummy Banana Bread





Reasons to teach your son to cook:


  1. Helps develop intellect.Mathematics (as in measurements, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions). English (as in vocabulary and reading comprehension, language development). Chemistry or science (as in cause and effect).

  2. Develops self confidence and self esteem. Just knowing that he can perform some tasks in the kitchen from the start to finish enables him to develop self  esteem and self confidence.

  3. Teaches the importance of following directions or instructions. 

  4. Teaches him to eat healthy foods and teaches him a sense of responsibility. When your child knows how to cook, he will eventually learn about the nutritional value and the health benefits that he gets from a particular food. 

  5. Teaching your child how to cook can develop his passion for cooking that can be financially rewarding for him in the future. 

My reason for teaching my son to cook......I'm teaching my son to cook because his father hasn't got a clue!

On Saturday I took my son and godson to the movies. Before I left I let my husband know that I had banana bread cooking in the oven and asked him to listen out for the oven timer beeping. I also told my daughter (5 years old) that when she hears the oven timer beep to get Daddy as the banana bread will be cooked.

During the movie I looked at the time. It was about 15 minutes after the banana bread should have been cooked.  So I sent my husband a text message asking him to tip the banana bread out of the pan and on to the wire rack I had left out on the bench.Later that night I met up with my husband and daughters for dinner and asked  him if he had taken my banana bread out of the oven. He replied, 'no, but I turned the oven off'. He didn't see the need to actually take the banana bread out of the oven , in his mind turning the oven off was sufficient. It didn't occur to him that it may continue to cook in a hot oven!  This is a man that runs his own very successful business but clearly he has no idea in the kitchen.

Anyway, I made another yummy banana bread on Sunday  morning.

Enjoy xxx


Banana Maple Syrup Bread


YOU WILL NEED 

125g butter at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 eggs
1 cup of mashed bananas (3 - 4 large bananas)
3/4 cup of plain flour
3/4 cup self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 180c or 160c fan forced.
  2. Grease a loaf tin (approx size: 22.5 x 10 x 4.5cm) and line base with baking paper.
  3. Using a mixer beat butter, sugar and maple syrup in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition until just combined.
  4. Add mashed banana and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
  5. Sift flours and bicarbonate of soda over butter mixture. Stir until just combined.
  6. Spoon mixture into prepared pans. Smooth top. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
  7. Stand in pan for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
(Recipe sourced from Super Food Ideas - June 2010 edition)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment